Women are the center of the universe. I truly believe that "WE" should be well aware of our health and more specifically reproductive health. I will inform young women about the possible health risks that could destroy our beautiful bodies, and what to do to remain sexy.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Bitter Sweet



Did you know that diabetes could affect women’s reproductive health?
                                   

It has been documented that both type of diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2) are rising in childhood years. The major concern is the rise of type 2 diabetes in women who are in their reproductive years. The reproductive journey starts on average in this century, in girls around the age of 12-13 years, who start menarche (menstrual cycle begins, fertile), up until menopause (loss of fertility).  Type 1 diabetes causes problems as well in childhood years. Girls who have been diagnosed during their childhood with type 1 diabetes can have affects in growth, development, and also sexual development. One main aspect of sexual development and growth entails menarche. There have been some studies that found that menarche was delayed if the onset of diabetes occurred before puberty and there is poor glucose control (Paterson, 2012).

Some major health factors associated with type 1 diabetes during reproductive age are menstrual irregularities, such as amenorrhea, polymenorrhea and oligomenorrhea. With these health factors occurring during the fertile years of the woman, this result in chronic abnormal metabolism associated with diabetes hypogonadism and abnormal ovarian function (Paterson, 2012).

In contrast, there has been a relationship between type 2 diabetes and obesity, and close association between obesity and reduced ovarian function. It has been proposed that women with type 2 diabetes and who are obese are three times at risk to experience infertility, which results in ovulation failure than women who have normal body mass index (Paterson, 2012). What would the world be like if we could not have babies, and spread our beauty through reproduction? Scary thought yes, I know.
                                              
In regards to younger women, some health risk associated in older women with diabetes and who are taking contraceptives can have a potential effect of hormonal contraceptives. These effects include microvascular and macrovascular complications, such as retinopathy, neuropathy, nephropathy and cardiovascular disease. Gupta (1997) suggest that the low-dose combined pill if used with metabolic monitoring can be taken by women with diabetes (Paterson, 2012).

The most important factor is the contraception is effective and outweighs the risk of an unplanned pregnancy. Due to the fact that women who need effective contraception that does not interfere with the endocrine system nor glucose metabolism. There are reports that women who have high blood glucose levels are at increased risk of pregnancy outcomes, such as spontaneous abortion and congenital abnormalities. Therefore, women who have diabetes need to make accurate and careful choices when concerning pregnancy and contraceptive choices. Yes, I know sweets are amazing, but too much sugar can be fatal to the fetus’s health and women’s reproductive health (Paterson, 2012). 
                                                           
Although, I have not been diagnosed with diabetes I am in my reproductive years, and my health is significantly important. As I have previously discussed in my last blog post I am taking a nutrition class this semester, and I have been determined to take care of my health and nutrition. Diabetes is a common worldwide disease. Approximately 21 million adults are diagnosed with diabetes, 41 million are diagnosed to have pre-diabetes, and 6.2 million people are undiagnosed (McQuire and Beerman). In my future I plan to have eight children and the health of my children and I is highly important. Diabetes is common in my family tree so I have to take extreme precautions of this potential health hazard. So to all you young women out there that are diagnosed or not diagnosed please take extreme caution during your reproductive years.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Next time I will be discussing the effects of low dense foods and beverages involving women with menstrual. Also I would like to wish everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment