Hello everyone, I would like to welcome you to the
first blog of many. Thanksgiving week is this week, and this week’s topics will
cover women’s health in regards of food and exercise. Today’s hot topic is the issue on genetically
modified foods. Are they good or bad? If so, what can we as women do about our
nutritional health before stuffing ourselves on Thanksgiving Day?
Can eating genetically modified food have an impact
on human health?
Genetically modified (GM) foods are foods that are
derived from genetically modified organisms (GMO). What is GMO? “GMO is a
living organism (bacteria, plant, animal) whose genetic composition has been
altered by means of gene technology” (Khan et
al, 2012). Genetically engineered crops have been a major source in the
boost of food production due to the increasing world population and the threat
of food security. But by solving one problem has biotechnology created another?
I believe that biotechnology has gone beyond creating a problem; they have
created an epidemic, because in my opinion GM foods are bad and have a huge impact
on human’s health.
It has been reported by the National Academy of
Science that genetically modified products have introduced new allergens,
toxins, disruptive chemical, soil-polluting ingredients, mutated species, and
unknown protein combinations in the human body and the environment. GM foods have been linked to death, near-deaths
from allergic reactions, cancer, antibiotic threat via milk, birth defects and shorter
life spans, lowered nutrition, and radical change in diet (Khan et al, 2012). What
are the main ingredients in genetically modified foods that are causing so many
fatal and near fatal health problems we may never know?
In my nutrition class my professor stressed the
issue over and over that genetically modified foods are bad, and are not
nutritional. We have to have a food log and record everything we eat; my
professor also says that it is best to eat foods as close to their natural
state as possible. Our motto for the nutrition class is thy food is thy
medicine-Hippocrates. I agree with this statement 100%, before my nutrition class
I consumed fast food daily, and never met the required amounts of fruits and
vegetables that need to be consumed daily for the best nutrition intake.
My professor tells my class to go to the farmer’s
market to purchase fresh and natural produce. Yes, I understand that everyone’s
budget is not the same, but to replace one healthy product with an unhealthy product
will make a BIG difference. I am a living witness of this because now that I am
in this class and watching what I eat, and eating healthier I have lost 9
pounds and I feel sexier than ever. Who has the right to produce something that
our bodies are not use to consuming? Nobody!!!! It is up to us to make a change
because we do have a right to NOT eat GM foods!!!
The human body has evolved for thousands of years learning
to adapt gradually to the environment, and nature’s foods. For genetic
engineers to just abruptly change the human’s diet with little or no thought at
all is rather disturbing to me. Our bodies are not capable of quickly learning how
to adjust to an unknown hormone or GMO; this is what leads to long-term health effects.
WE ARE WHAT WE EAT and I am sure that every woman wants to look her best so why
ingest horrible foods like GM products and destroy your beautiful body. Due to
child bearing capabilities we have to be aware of what we consume, because food
is stored in all of the wrong places, and takes time to lose. Keep in mind not
only food has an effect on women’s health.
All in all I believe that GM foods are bad and can
have fatal health issues in the human body. Women already have difficulties
when it comes to maintaining body weight and nutritional status. So why not
start early, and eat foods that are healthy and make you feel good about
yourself. Okay I must admit that I do eat fast foods on occasion, but after
eating fast food I do not feel energetic I get sleepy and lazy. In contrast, to
when I eat something healthy like fruit or grilled chicken I am ready to run a
10-mile marathon. My best advice for women to avoid health issues due to GM
foods are to eat healthy and read every food label to see what the ingredients
are in the food of your preference. I have been doing this for 6 months and have
experienced a significant change in my weight, attitude, and performance in my
school work.
Now that I have expressed my feelings about GM
foods, what are your thoughts on this hot topic? Next time, I will be
discussing women’s health and food security.
No comments:
Post a Comment